Saturday, October 9, 2021

Response to Jay Caspian Kang nytimes article: The Myth of Asian American Identity

This very honest and open 'letter to your daughter', and those other people, touched many commonalities in the life of all ; I have seen children of shapes and colors playing, laughing, and holding hands. I have teenagers 'gang up' and temper their inherent insecurities with friends with common, or near common, reasons that support their insecurities. It starts with not knowing the reason for life or the purpose of life. My purpose may well have been to be a second generation Italian Immigrant, which is how my father initially saw me. Or I could have been a middle class American living right after the 2nd world war meant to do equations, afraid of girls, mediocre at sports, too short, and afraid of being afraid. I made many mistakes, cheated myself by living a non-standard life but saw that the children who hold hands and play together only stopped because those more insecure than normal picked on the kids. Bullied them. generation after generation. Bertrand Russell documents this in his autobiography. When running a school in England with his wife, he found the boys in the upper classes bulling, physically, younger boys. He got one of the boys and asked him why they did it. The answer was, "The bigs beat us up when we came up. Its fair we beat up the littles behind us. The raw uneducated of the land get over their inferiority by bulling the physical weaker. Then the financially weaker. Or just 'the weak'. Stop the insecure grown up bullies, of all types. Human is good. 

My 3 grand children are of American (German-Italian Russian) and Japanese ancestries. The problems mankind has with life and educating the young is our horrible human natures. Man's inhumanities to man come from one primary cause: "Someone must be the cause of my insecurity, death, and division and I must do something about it. At least show that I am strong and unafraid. I can bully the world and all its people and prove I am strong and unafraid."  Even though it is not true. Doesn't matter if you win the fight, whatever ring you choose to fight in. "kill the enemy" gets moreplay than "love the enemy".

No comments:

Post a Comment