Sunday, April 1, 2018

Response to NYTimes article on the elderly and retirement...

I don't like getting personal in these 'response' notes...BUT, I'm a 75 year old, twice incarcerated (13 years total in prison) who has a masters degree in physical chemistry, 30 years as a computer jock ( just put Ubuntu onto my 5 year old hp and have a dual boot with windows, now.) and even as oneof the worst people on earth I still have skills and abilities that the society is cheating itself of by not employing me in fields where i can, and wish, to contribute. We have always been a country of mavericks, look at our politics now... This is just a simple, but personal, point, the nation is cheating iteslf from people like me, and millions just like me, because of fear and ignorance and the "new political correctness" where there is no 'forgiveness, compassion, hope of rehabilitation, one failure is a life's failure today. I'm an atheist but I grew up in a Christian environment and know Christ's intent on salvaging 'lost souls', etc. I don't want or need anything but an opportunity, like many of age and background, to bring my science, my computing skills ( even as just a heads down programmer) to bear on the productivity of this country. Not being able to contribute is worst part of prison. I'm still in that position, and it's cheating my country of what I, and all likeme, can do. Pity. And I fill my time and have an honest mundane courier job. And scorn self-pity.

No comments:

Post a Comment